The flower hoop is actually a vintage idea used throughout the early 20th century. Well they are making an updated comeback and are over the moon about it. Always searching for the timeless idea that hasn’t been done in a while, the wedding industry is currently jumping on board the flower hoop band wagon! Talk to your florist who will I’m sure be excited to make them for you or try them yourselves.
- A wire coat hanger, or similar weight wire.
- Floristry tape
- Floristry wire
- String or ribbon
- Flowers & foliage
1. Bend the wire into a circle.
2. Wrap the wire with floristry tape. This will hold the circle together and also disguise the wire, blending the tape with the stems of the flowers.
3. Tie the string onto the circle then wrap the string around 1/4 of the hoop tying firmly at the end.
4. Trim your flowers down so they have 1.5 inches of stem.
5. Hold the flowers in place on the wire and wrap floristry tape around the stem and the hoop, holding them in place.
6. Continue until you have filled the hoop with flowers and foliage.
Ruth and Festoon create vintage style, often foraged, floristry and have many hire items for your wedding. All photos by Thea Osmund- Smith.